Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bidri work- A perfect combination of Black and White metal

Bidri work is a unique metal craft which is found in Bidar of Karnataka (India).

I wish to visit Bidar once and meet some of the craftmen who do Bidri work. One day I will.  Fortunately, I could meet one of the Bidri craftsmen in a craft fest. When I asked him about the process of making Bidriware , he explained it very enthusiastically.

In Bidri work 2 metals are used- Zinc and Silver, which makes beautiful combination of Black and White.
Different items like flower vase, boxes, jeweleries are made with copper and zinc mixture. Then the different designs and motifs are engraved on the surface of the items. On these engraved designs , thin Silver wire is inlaid. You can read  more about Bidri work in this link.

The craftsman also showed me the method of inlaying the Silver wire on the surface of the item.I captured it through my camera to share with you ,
A small statue with design engraved
The craftsman inlaying the Silver wire                   

These are some of the items I've in my collection:
  
Kumkuma Bharani with Bidri work on the lid
    
A small elephant
  
Bangles with Bidri work
Bidri work displays the beauty of  blend of two opposites- Black and White!

Now Navaratri has started, I've lot to share with you about Gombe Habba , in the coming posts.

Until then,
Love , laugh and live the life to the fullest,
-Ranjana

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! There are lot of handicraft things in India to explore:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar looking pendant, Ranjana. And it's been with me for more than 30 years now and it has not lost it's sheen over time!
    It's nice that the industry is still flourishing!
    Thanks for this lovely blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very artistic. Not easy to make this, lot of hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, such a cute post. Hats off to these karigars :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely ! and you have a nice collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!a great art .I love these types of works too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do consider all of the ideas you’ve offered on your post. They’re very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too short for starters. Could you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ajit Ahluwalia october4 2016 at 11PM

    Very informative article.

    ReplyDelete

Google analytics