Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Bobbin lace- Desire unfufilled

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers
 When it comes to crafts, I have learnt quite a few of crafts. Some are inherited from my mother, like sewing , crochet, hand embroidery etc. Some I learnt from different craft teachers. Painting and sketching - I never learnt  from anybody, just tried it, sometimes it was good sometimes disaster. I can say,I'm still practising pencil sketching . Every time I make pencil sketching, I  feel I have achieved not even 10% of perfection : (.  While learning tatting , I literally begged a lady to teach tatting. I know , still more to learn, and very long way to go in this arts and crafts world!
Today, when I was trying to clean my crafts materials. I found this kit .This is a bobbin lace making kit I had bought 3 years ago. Hmm... I never got a teacher from whom I could learn this art of converting thread into beautiful laces. I know , you all will suggest me to go through some online tutorials. But I feel, some arts require teacher, who will be  with us to guide  whenever we are stuck, give easy tips to learn fast. Especially in crafts involving threads, there are chances that patience will be lost in case of knots.   I have gone through some of the online tutorials too, tried but in vain.
Bobbin lace
You may wonder, why I'm so much murmuring about not learning bobbin lace. Any craft lover if sees the bobbin lace would have the desire to  learn this art.
Bobbin lace
Image courtesy-Wikipedia
Bobbin lace
Image courtesy-Wikipedia
Bobbin lace making is an amazing craft of converting threads into beautiful laces. Bobbin lace is woven with pairs of threads which are woven on these bobbins.
Bobbin lace
 The magic of threads getting converted into laces :
Bobbin lace
Image courtesy-Wikipedia

Its an European art , which spread to many parts of India by Christan missionaries. Now also, in Kanyakumari its an industry, and the laces are exported to Italy.
When I visit Kanyakumari, I will explore more about this craft. Hope, I will find a teacher to fulfill my desire of learning "bobbin lace making"

Love , laugh and live the life to the fullest,
-Ranjana

8 comments:

  1. Wow ramya. I never knew laces were hand woven n never knew about a kit like this! Is its available in india online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ranjana i never knew such a craft existed! I always thought lace making wad machine work. Will try to get the kit and try myself 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow , this is a lovely post as usual from you .
    Been wanting to learn bobbin lace myself as I had seen french nuns doing in my college but never found the bobbins for making it . Wanted to ask you where you got the kit from . Maybe if I get one we can both learn this lovely craft by helping each other as I have some easy designs stored away somewhere in my attic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to read your unique posts Ranjana
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    My latest post: How I repaired my Big Shot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the lace and had no idea how they are made, you sure have craft running in your blood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Requires lot of patience, amazing work! I hope you get to learn it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing never heard of this before. Such lovely laces , No surprise it is your dream to learn this art.

    ReplyDelete

Google analytics