Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Interview with an artist- Mural artist Shri Chandra Rawal

Sculpturing is the art which requires lots of practise and patience. I always longed to learn sculpturing , but due to time constraint my wish is not fulfilled  :(, though I tried to learn some forms of sculpturing like siporex mural making. My learning experience of siporex mural making, I have already shared in one of the posts. It was like dream come true experience for me as I learnt it from very talented and  Shri. Chandra Rawal. I was following him on social media , and was very eager to learn from him. When he conducted workshop in Bangalore, I was part of the workshop as learner. I got an opportunity to talk to him and he shared about his passion and his journey in the world of arts. Sharing his works, experiences  with all the arts enthusiasts.


Please share about yourself with our readers(Background, education, family etc)

Basically I'm from Thane, Maharashtra. I'm professional Mural artist and majorly work with siporex mural carving, though I work with other forms of mural art like metal relief  and mixed media relief mural.
I have a beautiful and loving wife and blessed with a daiughter and a son.






Shri Chandra Rawal

Now tell us how did you make an entry into world of arts? Have you undergone any formal training in arts?

Neither I have any formal qualification in arts nor I have any background of arts . I wanted to become a singer. To fulfill that wish, I wanted to earn money. So I started working as an assistant with a mural artist.   Six years I worked as his assistant. And once I got confidence, I started working independently, in the year 2007. I can say my experience is my teacher. Though I don’t have any qualification in arts, I have guided many students of prestigious school of arts, J.J School of Arts , Mumbai.

Beautiful mural of Goddess Saraswati made under Guidance of Shri Chandra Rawal 

 How and when did you start conducting workshop and teaching mural art?
I started sharing my works through social media like FB and google+. Some people started inquiring about the art and also showed interest towards learning the siporex mural art. So I decided to teach the making of siporex mural to the people who wanted to learn. My first workshop on siporex carving was conducted in Dec 2014 at Mumbai. I have conducted more than 20 workshops in the span of one and half years.


What  are the sources for the mural you make?
 I make the mural according to the client's requirement.

Buddha made by Shri Chandra Rawal for a client
Another Buddha mural made according to order


Apart from siporex blocks , have you tried making mural in other mediums?
I have worked with other mediums like metal foil , wood, soapstone and mixed media. 

Metal mural work
Once you start carving, have you ever come across artists’ block? If so how do you overcome that?
Never, in early days of my journey of art I used to feel the blockage. Now with continuous practice and experience I have overcome that.

Among the murals you have made which is/are your favorites(s)? and the also share the reason for that.


I like all the murals I made. Because each one has given me unique experience.Few of the murals I liked the most are here:




Please share some advice to the aspiring artists.

 My advice to artists is that learn from a teacher /expert.Otherwise you might be misled by mistakes. And have patience and practice until you become perfect.
  
Apart from mural carving what are your other hobbies?

 Singing , sketching and practising spirituality. I don't get time to persue my other hobbies, but somehow make time for those. While carving I sing, which makes me happy. Whatever idea I have I try to sketch , so that it will be useful to make murals.

 
A sketch by Shri Chandra Rawal 



What are your future plans in the journey of arts? 

This journey of teaching will continue. My only plan regarding my profession is to teach as many art aspirants as possible. I have worked for clients and been successful commercially. I want to make an artifact which gives satisfaction. Want to exhibit the artifacts made by me in art galleries.


Please share your contact details( FB/twitter/website/ contact number) where my interested readers can reach you.

People can reach my by visiting my fb profile :
https://www.facebook.com/chandra.rawal.773  or can reach through email :chandra@artreflections.in or mobile : 9820153133
Also I share all my works on page : Artreflections

 Thank you Shri Chndra Rawal, for sharing about your passion with us.I'm fortunate  to learn making murals  from you. All the best for your future.


Love , laugh and live the life to the fullest,
-Ranjana


13 comments:

  1. Ooh Ranjana I am a huge fan of Chandra Rawal and was delighted to see in my dashboard his interview picture on your blog!! So nice to read more about this talented soul

    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doc. It is really pleasure to learn from him.

      Delete
  2. Lovely Interview and he does have a Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work by Chandra Rawal and thanks for publishing his interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mural paintings by the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview and amazing work! Best wishes to Mr. Rawal and you, Ranjana:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice interview.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Ranjana ji for giving space in your blogg and thank you everyone for your blessings !!

    ReplyDelete

Google analytics