Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

A dream comes true learning- memorable experience

I always wanted to learn mural carving on Siporex blocks. Many arts and crafts lovers and practitioner know about siporex mural. Siporex is aerated blocks of cement , used for constructions.  Beautiful mural can be carved using these blocks. I had come to know about  art of siporex murals five rears ago. From then I was longing to learn siporex mural art. Whomever was teaching the art did not reply to my queries  properly. :(
But my search for right "Guru", to teach this art was on.

When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it ---Paulo Coelho



This year the above saying turned true for me. I could learn siporex mural from well known artist Shri. Chandra Rawal . After knowing about his work through social media, I had sent a message to him conveying my interest to learn siporex carving. I was lucky that he was conducting a  workshop in Bangalore. This was organized Ms.Manjula . I immediately contacted her and registered myself for the workshop. I was super excited as my dream to learn 3D mural making came true!
Here is the mural I made siporex block in the workshop:

Transformation of simple siporex block into lively 3D mural:


December 27th th workshop began, but due to my personal commitments I could not attend the first two days . Manjula was kind enough to send some designs online. I chose as usual my favorite Krishna design from those. The design was traced on siporex block:
And the carving started under the guidance of Shri. Chandra Rawal. Here is the complete transformation of the siporex block to beautiful carving:

Initial carving to make the background like vine and flower designs. This takes lots of effort. The student continously requires guidance from the teacher. Shri . Chandra Rawal, had put his maximum effort to teach the initial carvings.

siporex mural
Initial Carving of background
 Then the carving of face in case of any human figure in the design:
siporex mural
Carving the face in human figures
 Applying base colors and shading :
siporex mural
Initial coloring and shading
 
siporex mural

After final touch to the mural, like coloring the eyes , jewels etc, the mural is ready:
siporex mural
Finally made!


Wonderful experience of learning Siporex mural making: 

While joining this workshop, I thought it would be normal workshop of learning an art. This was not just workshop, but a memorable learning experience. To learn anything, the combination of learner's open mind and Guru's willingness to share his/her knowledge to the student are required. The combination was present in the workshop. There were nineteen more  who were eager and enthusiastic students from different fields and parts of the country. Each made very unique murals, which I will be sharing in coming posts. I can say Shri. Chandra  Rawal was a perfect guru. He never hesitated to answer our queries, and with his lively persona and encouraging words he made us confident to learn. Whenever we used to make mistakes, he guided us giving tips and tricks to correct those mistakes.

 Many(including me) used to travel from far places everyday to workshop  but it was never tiresome. That is the liveliness we feel when we do something we love. 
I met wonderful people and art enthusiastic people there.  I really started loving those sound produced by carving , though it was not rhythmic. In every stage of making mural , all the students used to give suggestions to one another- like : " This color looks good", "Carve a little flower here", "Make the jewels like this", etc and after each student finished mural everyone used to appreciate saying "WOW! it is come out very nicely".These appreciations really made me feel like I'm from Jakanachari's  ( a legendary sculptor ) family  :)


My heartfelt thanks to organizer Manjula  for giving opportunity to learn from wonderful  artist and Guru,  Chndra Rawal .  This workshop will be memorable moments of my learning path of arts and crafts. Thank you for teaching us this wonderful art Chandra Sir. :) . Your magical hands converts each siporex block into a lively mural, and your dedication and patience in teaching make every students confident.

siporex mural
Shri Chandra Rawal , handing over mural to me:)

Last day of the workshop, mind was little upset, thinking that next morning the routine would be back to normal everyday routine.  I will be missing the carving sound which I used to hear nearing the workshop, lovely and wonderful new friends encouraging one another, discussions , laugh etc . But we are hoping to meet again with one more workshop which will be organized soon.

I know , you are eager to see some more murals made in the workshop and to know more about  the artist Shri. Chandra Rawal too. Definitely share about those in coming posts,

Until then-
Love , laugh and live the life to the fullest,
-Ranjana



26 comments:

  1. Loved the siporex mural. What a transformation! Looks gorgeous. And I am so happy you had an amazing learning experience as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear ranjana do u make siporex murals for sale? I need one can u please reply.

      Delete
  2. WOW Ranjana...what a stunner you have created and its been a wish of mine too to learn Siporex and I was attracted to it by seeing Chandra Rawal's work too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. Again workshop will be held in March, try to join that.

      Delete
  3. Great work Ranjana, Amazing creation!!
    Very tempting too.you are lucky to get the opportunity to learn this style of art expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gazala. Ya, siporex mural making is a wonderful art.

      Delete
  4. Wow!! It looks amazing!!:) You did a great job!! It is on my wishlist as well and there is a well known artist here who conducts classes regularly. I hope someday I will learn too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Preeti. Siporex mural is a wonderful art form. Please learn. You will enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow!!! This is breathtaking Ranjana!...I loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank yoh ranjana shankar .. it was a great experience in sharing my experience with talented people of bangalore..

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Many(including me) used to travel from far places everyday to workshop but it was never tiresome. That is the liveliness we feel when we do something we love."
    Congrats on learning this beautiful art and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Incredible work!
    I am stunned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, Awesome works. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is just excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That 3d mural work is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. good experience....lovely work ...congrats..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome looking mural Ranjana ....super:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Ranjana! Must have been such a pleasurable experience!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and perspectives on handicraft items. It is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Google analytics